Friday, April 1, 2011

Rogue Morimoto Soba Ale

by Alan

I'm a big fan of beer, and I have been a big fan of Morimoto since I started watching the original Iron Chef many years before they brought it to America. I had not heard of the Morimoto series of beers until the beer buyer at our local Whole Foods alerted me that they were getting some of the Soba Ale in stock. I've been saving this for week or two, and after a big sushi dinner with the wife, this seemed like the perfect beer to crack open.

Rogue Ales Description:
The delicate flavor of our roasted Soba brings a nutty finish to this light and refreshing ale. A perfect accompaniment to lighter cuisine.

8 Ingredients:

  • Malts - Roasted Soba, Harrington, Metcalf, Munich & C-15
  • Hops -  Crystal
  • Yeast & Water - Rogue’s Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water

My Tasting Notes:
  • Appearance - Light Amber, with some small bubbles. Not overly carbonated, nice and clear but very light head
  • Smell - Earthy smell which makes sense with the Soba. Lighy sweet smell, peachy
  • Taste - You can certainly taste the earthy buckwheat from the Soba, but its not off-putting or overpowering. Some lightly citrus tones, quite refreshing
  • Mouthfeel - Smooth, Medium body, average carbonation, finishes dry
  • Drinkability - Great pairing with some sushi, easy drinker and refreshing

I certainly enjoy soba noodles, and I'll be picking up another bottle of this for some warm summer days for a Soba dinner. If I could find it on tap or in the bottle at a Sushi restaurant I would gladly order one up. This was an interesting beer, very enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment