Monday, April 18, 2011

Caldera IPA

Caldera Brewing's IPA
by Alan

As I was browsing around Whole Foods looking for something I haven’t tried, the Caldera cans practically burst off of the shelf with their brilliant colors. High end beer in a can? Who am I to judge until I give it a try!

Caldera's description: 

An American-style India Pale Ale brewed with plenty of body and an assertive hop profile. Malts: Premium Two Row, Munich, Crystal Hops: Simcoe, Centennial, Amarillo; Alcohol by Volume: 6.1%; IBU 94, SRM: 10.1

My tasting notes: 

  • Appearance — Rich gold color with a light tan head, excellent head retention
  • Smell Citrus and floral hoppy smell with from herb notes, fresh grass. Some sweet malty smell
  • Taste Bitter hopiness up front, then the resinous hop flavor shines though. some good toasted malty flavor with it
  • Mouthfeel Crisp, well carbonated nice and smooth
  • Drinkability Great session beer, easy drinker for an IPA

This has made me a believer in the can. While I’ll never shy away from some inexpensive PBR or some High Life, it’s great to see some high quality, high flavor brews in the same light compact container. These will help make by baseball season full (and my wallet empty).
 

Extras:
$9.99 for a 6 pack at Whole Foods (prices may vary)

This brew would go perfect with some grilling, and the can is perfect for some outdoors action.

3 comments:

  1. I will have to look for this. This winter I finally discovered that Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale is an IPA... I love it and get so excited every fall when it hits the shelves and tastes even better because I love the design on the can. But this year, I finally READ the can. I used to think that I hated IPA's. So I will try out Caldera.

    Also - in response to micro-brews coming in cans, have you tried Oskar Blues? They're from near Boulder, CO and their beer only comes in cans. We like their Scottish Ale - Old Chub. Although, I have to warn that the Dale's Pale Ale has been known to cause killer headaches (according to a friend).

    TTFN All this talk of beer has made me thirsty..I'm going to go grab a Shiner Bock ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I've seen the Mama's little YELLA Pils, I'll have to give some of the cans a try. I saw Avery brewing also makes a high end canned pilsner. So many beers, so little time.

    Thanks for the Tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, this sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing this post.
    Craft Beer in Chandigarh

    ReplyDelete